Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday, Monday

Craig just poked his head in my door with a bemused expression -- he's the chief engineer for WSYR-TV, channel 9 in Syracuse, and has the office next to mine.

"Just got a call from a lady in Minoa," he started.

"Oh?"

"She said she likes to watch our channel 5 news but it's all staticy. I told her that this is channel 9, and she said that oh, channel 9's bad too."

I sat back and grinned; I've been down this road before.

"I asked if she was on cable and she says no, she gets everything from her indoor antenna. When I asked if she had tried moving the antenna she said, 'No, can I do that?'"

Brief pause as we roll our eyes.

"I said, yes, try moving your antenna. After a moment the noise in the background went away and was replaced by normal audio. She comes back on the phone and says that it's much better now, but is it okay to do that? Yes, I told her, feel free to move your antenna whenever you want to."

And the FCC expects these people to transition to DTV in 2009?